During school lunch break children may have a school meal, purchase a school packed lunch, or bring a packed lunch of their own. Since we are a healthy school we ask that children bring a healthy packed lunch which includes a variety of foods from the different food groups - see guidance below.
In common with all schools involved in the Wrexham Healthy Schools scheme we follow Wrexham guidelines and specify that children do not bring anything that can be bought in the confectionery aisle of a supermarket and also that children do not bring fizzy drinks to school. Our pupils have access to water at all times of the day and are regularly encouraged to keep hydrated.
Top tips for a healthier lunchbox
Wrexham County Borough Council's School Meals Catering Service continually works towards providing a good range of healthier meal choices, in order to fulfil some of the nutritional requirements of growing and developing children.
The School meals catering service in primary schools offer a fixed price two course menu, with a daily choice of two main course meals, or filled jacket potatoes and salad or a packed lunch, plus a freshly prepared pudding or fresh fruit and yoghurt.
Vegetable choices are offered daily, along with a variety of carbohydrate alternatives including rice and pasta.
The school meal gives children an excellent opportunity to try new foods early in their developing years. Whilst catering staff make every effort to encourage youngsters to choose healthy meals it is vital that parents and schools do the same. With their support we can encourage children to change their eating habits and select the healthy choices available on a regular basis.
Why Choose a School Meal For Your Child?
- Freshly prepared nutritious meals, using basic wholesome ingredients.
- Fully trained and qualified catering staff who care, and will make every effort to encourage your child to choose a healthy meal.
- 3 week cycle menu, with a varied choice of meal options.
- Menus, which comply with the nutritional standards for school lunches, set by the Welsh Government.
- The school meal offers good value for money.
- Special dietary needs can be catered for.
- Vegetarian choices available daily.
- Development of social skills.
- Food to help children think and grow.
- Increase in concentration levels in the afternoon after eating a well balanced school lunch.
School Meals v Packed Lunch
Preparing a packed lunch for your child might not be as cost effective as you think. With food costs continually rising, it’s worth looking at the benefits of a Healthy Packed Lunch option prepared by the school meals catering service.
A School Meals Packed Lunch includes:
- Choice of sandwich, wrap or roll (to include cheese, tuna, meat or egg filling) or a pasta salad box.
- Choice of fresh fruit
- Pure fruit juice
- Shortbread, oaty biscuit or yoghurt
All School Meals Packed Lunches are properly stored in refrigerated conditions until required at lunchtime.
If your child is entitled to a free meal, a packed lunch can be provided on request. All Reception children in Wales are now entitled to a free school meal.
The school meals packed lunches can provide a well balanced healthy meal for your child. All lunches are fully compliant with the nutritional guidelines and can provide important nutrients which they require to help them grow, and develop in their early years.
Try a safe and nutritious School Meals Packed Lunch for the same price as a school meal. Packed lunches can
be requested in advance or selected from the counter at lunchtime.
- Infant and Junior School Meal - £2.40 (£12.00 per week),
- Parents need to pay for school meals in advance at the beginning of the week via Parent Pay .
- Parents who have children entitled to Free School Meals still need to select their child's choice of meals via Parent Pay using the link above.
School Menu 2022